Done what? I hear you cry (...those of you, that is, who have stumbled upon this blog!)
Entered another full marathon. Yes I know I must be mad, but on Sunday 20th
September 2009 I will once again be running (more like pounding if New York's anything to go by) 42 kilometres or 26.2 miles around the streets of Berlin.
Ok, so I've said 'again'. It's surely no big deal to someone who has run many halves
over the years and three full marathons previously. But, that's where you are wrong! I remember my mum's words about pregnancies two and three. The pregnancy goes fine until the point at which labour begins and then you think to yourself why am I doing this all over again. You'd have thought I'd learnt. (I think she may have used slightly stronger language than this!) But somehow the body cons you and seems to forget all the pain and effort when you finally see the prize (well I hope she felt that when she saw me!)
So why am I putting myself through weeks of lonely training, possible injury, expense, time away from family, expectation from colleagues and friends? (Oh, I guess that now includes you lot too!) Hopefully this blog will be my chance to explain. I'm sure there have been many others written on the subject, but this is about what goes on in my head, why I do it and is a glimpse to all those non-runners out there, who constantly ask me what I think about for hour after hour (hence the title...thanks J.) Why is it I don't get bored?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yup, I do think you're mad going through another one!!! But then I remember thinking that very clearly, just like your Mum, when I was in the throws of labour' number 3 too!!!
ReplyDeleteSoooooo looking forward to reading your 'ramblings' and travelling with you on your journey towards the next marathon... and beyond, maybe?!! Although, I have to admit, after having our wee boy, I was quite relieved when we decided that enough was enough!!!!
:0)
Hehehehe, I remember thinking EXACTLY the same in labours two and three as well! As soon as they began, the painful memories all came flooding back, and this time I knew just how much it was going to hurt!
ReplyDeleteI'm really looking forward to following your blog and finding out what makes a runner tick!
Wow thats so exciting that you have entered the virtual world too!
ReplyDeleteHi Andy - just waving and nodding to say I'm looking here too :o) Cheers, Tim.
ReplyDeleteHi guys, it's great to know you're out there with me. Who knows when your support will keep me going that extra mile!
ReplyDelete